Thursday, January 28, 2010

Email Tone

I recently asked my former employer for my w-2 information and this was the email response, "No problem. W-2’s came in yesterday, your taxable wages were $xxxxxx. FIT withheld was $xxxxx, SS was $xxxxxx, and MED $xxxxx. I will put yours in the mail today, are you still at the same address?"


The tone in this short correspondence is very good. I raised an issue as to whether my w-2 would arrive on time, and in response I got more information than expected. This email is short and to the point which made it powerful. The tone at the end was great, a sense of urgency followed up by question regarding accuracy. The beginning tone was positive and made light work of the issue i proposed.

Honestly I have to say that my initial email requesting the information had a negative tone as I expected this request to go unanswered. I was wrong. In reflection I learned that it is not wise to be to hasty and prejudge, something I am consistently guilty of. So, in this situation my old boss effectively changed the hole tone, that is my perception of how the situation would go down.




2 comments:

NightWrite said...

Yeah it's easy to get pessimistic and frustrated when dealing with banks and money matters. Number one cause of divorce. Wow, six figure income, huh? Nice!

Michael said...

I would be EXTREMELY concerned about anyone putting my tax information out on the Net. E-mail is NOT secure, unless both you and the sender are using some serious encryption. While I appreciate the convenience of the message, I recommend that you ask not to have such information e-mailed to you ever again.